Friday, March 5, 2010

Photo of the week

Yesterday I arrived at the gallery surprised to see a new portfolio box sitting atop the existing two.  They were photographer John Delaney’s “Golden Eagle Nomads” prints, which were shown at Farmani in 2009.  Because so many people were interested in the prints through out the night, I had the pleasure of showing them four or five times.  I was also able to read over his artist statement a few times.  Below is one part which I feel really embodies his work:

“Native Americans referred to photographers of the 19th century as “shadow catchers”, and feared that the camera would steal away their spirit. That, in fact, is exactly what I hope to do. Not only to capture light, but also the “essence” of the people I photograph. In this way maybe I can preserve more than just a moment before it fades away into time”.

Our photo of the week is from the “Golden Eagle Nomads” series and we feel very lucky to be looking at the actual print here at the gallery. A hand-printed silver gelatin print is truly irreplaceable. 

Telegen and Son

No comments:

Post a Comment